The recent attack on the 9th witness in the Asaram rape case was another shocking incident for the judiciary system in India. The case of self proclaimed godman Asaram Bapu seems to be taking the shape of Vyapam Case with so many mysterious deaths of the people linked to the case. Kirpal Singh the 9th witness in Asaram case who testified in a court against Asaram was shot dead by the unknown assailants in Bareilly to which he succumbed to his injuries in a hospital next day.
According to the sources Singh had testified in court while he was aware of the threat to his life but yet the judiciary did not take any measures to safeguard the life of prime witness in this case. According to the news published by the Hindustan Times, (http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/main-witness-in-asaram-bapu-sexual-assault-case-shot-at-in-shahjahanpur/article1-1368073.aspx) Kripal Singh had expressed the fear of attack on his life which he brought to the notice of the authorities after he recorded his statement, in fact Singh has avalid reason to worry after the when he was aware of the fact that another witness Akhil Gupta was killed in January in year. Another news media The Indian Express (http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/witness-in-asaram-case-shot/) had reported that he had been hiding at different locations out of the fear of his life on the account of having been testified in the Asaram case, however all his efforts to ensure his own security failed.
Here is the list of people who have been killed or injured after speaking up against the godman Asaram – :
- Raju Chandhok– He was attacked in December 2009 in Sabarmati. The Hindu had then mentioned his statement to the police, in which he had said that there had been several attempts on his life ever since he left Asaram Bapu’s ashram after “realizing the true nature of the saint.”
- Dinesh Bhagchandani – In March last year, two persons attacked Bhagchandani by throwing acid on his face. Bhagchandani was said to have parted ways with Asaram in 2007 and had been assisting witnesses against him.
- Amrut Prajapati – Prajapati, too, had parted ways with Asaram after having worked with him for 15 years. Prajapati, who used to practice Ayurveda, was shot in his clinic in Rajkot in June 2014.
- Rahul Patel – Barely two weeks later after Prajapati was attacked, Patel, who used to work as a videographer with Asaram, was attacked.
- Vimlesh Thakkar– In February last year, Thakkar was assaulted with knives. His wife has accused Asaram’s son Narayan Sai of sexually assaulting her.
- Rahul Sachan – He was former “sevadar” of Asaram and was a witness in a rape case against him. Sachan was stabbed outside a Jodhpur court in February this year.
- Akhil Gupta – He was the second person to be killed in connection with charges against Asaram, Gupta was shot dead in Muzaffarnagar in January this year. Gupta was a cook working with Asaram and was a witness in the rape case filed against him.
- Mahendra Chawla – He was witness in a rape case against Narayan Sai. He was shot by unidentified assailants in Panipat in May this year.
Article Source: FIRSTPOST (http://www.firstpost.com/india/attacked-for-speaking-up-against-asaram-the-list-just-keeps-growing-2339526.html )
Original Article Writer: Neerad Pandharipande (http://www.firstpost.com/author/neeradp )