In what could have escalated into a serious situation, a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone caught fire mid-air in a Chennai-bound flight on Friday. The incident created a scare among the 175 passengers on board but the aircraft made a safe landing. According to the sources, the phone was kept in the overhead bin. “The crew noticed smoke from the bin and found the device was emitting smoke after possibly catching fire. They used fire extinguishers on it,” said a spokesperson of Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
The fire was reported inside the IndiGo aircraft coming from Singapore at the Chennai airport. The passengers noticed the smoke smell in the cabin and immediately alerted the cabin crew on board, IndiGo said. “Taking the precautionary measure, the cabin crew on priority relocated all passengers to other seats, and further observed smoke being emitted from a Samsung Note 2 which was placed in the baggage of a passenger in the overhead bin,” the airlines said.
Adding to that he also said that, the crew discharged the fire extinguisher which is as per the Standard Operating Procedures prescribed by the aircraft manufacturer, and quickly transferred the Samsung Note 2 into a container filled with water.
“We advise flyers to exercise caution while flying with Samsung Note devices. They should either keep these devices switched off or not travel with them,” said a DGCA spokesman.
A Samsung spokesperson said: “We are aware of an incident involving one of our devices. At Samsung, customer safety is our highest priority. We are in touch with relevant authorities to gather more information, and are looking into the matter.”
The DGCA has summoned Samsung officials on Monday. The regulator has asked the airline to give it the phone for a probe. This matter will be discussed with Samsung officials on Monday.
According to the information, Samsung is reeling from a global recall of its premium Smartphone – Galaxy Note 7, due to reports of a battery fire. Around 500, 000 handsets have been canceled in the US alone. The issue has seen at least $10 billion being wiped off the market value of the company.