Teenage girl Rakshanda died due to negligence of Govt. hospital in Goa

representational image

A black day for Sheikh Family after their teenage daughter, died on Saturday due to negligence and refusal of treatment at government hospitals. She was diagnosed with malaria and in spite of the authorities knowing about the seriousness of the patient’s case, she was not attended properly on time. The poor family had to rush from one government hospital to another for treatment of their daughter. Here is the report how the negligent medical treatment of government hospitals in Goa that took her life.

[su_expand more_text=”READ MORE” less_text=” ” height=”0″ hide_less=”yes” link_style=”button” link_align=”center”] The Sheikh family after running from one government hospital to another finally admitted their daughter at a private hospital in Mapusa where, however, she died on Saturday evening.

Rakshanda was taken by her father Iqbal to the North Goa District Hospital on May 17 for treatment of fever along with her teenage brother Rashid. Their blood samples were sent for examination by the hospital authorities and therefore Iqbal was told to come back on the next day to collect the reports.

When Iqbal went to the hospital to collect the reports on May 18 he was shocked as his daughter’s blood test report was missing, while his son Rashid had tested negative for malaria. Hence the blood samples of Rakshanda were taken again and the report handed over to her father by afternoon. A report of rakshanda was positive for malaria, so she was admitted immediately by the doctors at hospital. But, instead of asking for an X-ray, she was allegedly given no treatment till Thursday afternoon.

At around 12.30 pm on Thursday, the medical superintendent examining the patient’s file referred her to the Goa Medical College and Hospital (GMC) at Bambolim for further treatment.

Without informing Rakshanda’s father about the seriousness of her condition, the hospital authorities shifted her to the GMC in an ambulance.

It was when the patient’s family reached at GMC, the doctors examined her, and advised them to shift her to a private hospital as her condition was critical and the GMC could not make arrangements for a ventilator.

Rakshanda’s family rushed her back to Mapusa, and admitted her in a private hospital where she was later given a treatment. But as her condition was already critical by the time, she was not been able to respond properly to the treatment and died on Saturday evening.

Father of the deceased expressed anger over the negligence on the part of the district hospital authorities and the lack of facilities at the GMC. If she was treated on time she might have recovered from it.

Deputy Chief Minister Francis D’Souza, who also holds the Health portfolio said, “I need to check, as nowadays normally people do not die of malaria. I have to look into the details.” He also said that the district hospital authorities should have not referred the patient to the GMC but instead advised the family to take the patient to a private hospital, as the GMC has a restricted number of ventilators. He also said that he would order an inquiry in this matter.

Source: NT



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.