Mormugao Fort was build in 1624, was considered as one of the major costal forts in Goa. The fort is located to the north of Vasco Da Gama town and just south of Murmogao Port. The Mormugao Fort covered a total region of six miles in circumference, contained towering bulwarks, three magazines, five prisons, a chapel and quarters for the guard. It had 53 guns and a garrison with 4 officers, and was an important fortress on the western coast. A coastal fort, sprawled over 6 miles, built by the Portuguese in 1624 solely to offer them supremacy against marine attacks, Mormugao Fort is today situated among some of Goa’s most visited tourist attractions like Varca Beach. Furthermore, it is very proximate to tourist locations like Margao, the port of Margao and Vaso da Gama.
This fort near the internationally famous Mormugao Habour was built to protect the harbour situated near Vasco da Gama town. Ever since it was accorded the status of a Major Port in 1963, the Mormugão port has contributed immensely to growth of maritime trade in India. It is the leading iron ore exporting port of India with an annual throughput of around 27.33 million tonnes of iron ore traffic. The Mormugao fort was essentially built by the Portuguese to protect the harbour, territorial waters in and around the port of Margao. The entrance to the fort, which is bustling with activity as against what is to be usually expected, is inscribed with names such as Dom Fransisco Da Gama and King Dom Fillip. The inscription is a commemoration to the then Viceroy, and was carved in when the fort was inaugurated.
The Viceroy moved into Margao which was essentially the capital of the empire in 1703.Throughout history, this fort took quite a beating, before eventually being surrendered to the Marathas when the Portuguese decided to settle for Old Goa.
The fortress is huge, measuring in at over 10 kilometers if measured around the circumference. Varca beach which is a stone throw away from the fort is known for its traditional wooden fishing boats and makes for quite a sight. The best time to visit the Mormugao Fort is in the summer.
Mormugao fort is known for its magnificient look and structure and was considered as one of the most important coastal forts of Goa. It was built to protect the harbour situated near the Vasco da Gama town. Primarily, Mormugao was generalized to be the capital of the Portuguese empire, hence the fort was erected and in 1703 the viceroy moved into the town. The Maratha warriors continued to attack the town and the fort and finally the Portuguese gave up the township in preference for Old Goa.
There were two beautiful fountains. The Fonte de Malabar kept the royal arms and was said to bob up from a gold mine and the Fonte de Santo Ignacio which had a more modest beginning in a Sulphur mine. What remains today is the chapel and a portion of the boundary wall.
The inscriptions over the gates of the fort are the centre of attraction and tourists come to unveil the historical treasures lying in the Mormugao Fort in Goa.
Marmugao fort is one that is closest to Goa’s Dabolim airport, around 4 kilometers south of the city of Vasco Da Gama. Getting to the fort by cab, bus or rickshaw is possible, or one might even decide to rent a bike or a car and drive down.