A 46-year-old Ayurvedic physician from a Kerala government dispensary in Bison Valley of Idukki district, who collapsed and slipped into coma nine years ago after tasting a medicine he, had prescribed for a patient in 2007, died at his house in Paipra near Kochi on Monday. In January 2007, P A Baiju, then 37 years old, consumed the medicine, not knowing that it had been poisoned by the patient’s husband following a domestic brawl. The accused later told the police that he had meant to kill his wife. Read the complete report here.
In January 2007, when Dr Baiju was serving as the Medical Officer at the Government Ayurvedic Dispensary at Bison Valley in Idukki district, he had prescribed a ‘ rasna panchakam’ (Ayurvedic concoction) to a woman patient who approached him seeking treatment for some orthopedic problem. According to police and his former colleagues, a woman patient named Santhamma consulted Baiju on January 24, 2007 with complaints of joint pain. Baiju, who was a popular ayurveda practitioner in the region, prescribed a medicine called “rasna panchakam”, which the woman bought from a store. As soon as she consumed the medicine, she fainted. Baiju, in an effort to prove that his prescription was harmless, took two spoonfuls of it and collapsed immediately. He was taken unconscious to hospital.
Even though he regained consciousness after few days, Baiju replaced in coma and never came out of it. After testing the medicine, doctors found that it was mixed with pesticide, and that Santhamma was saved since she had taken a small dose.
According to the sources, His brother Biju said that their mother Leela nursed Baiju all these years hoping that he would recover. His poor parents also took him to various medical facilities but failed.
Acting on a complaint from Baiju’s wife, the police began a probe and found Santhamma’s husband K Rajappan had mixed a pesticide with the medicine. He was arrested on April 5, 2007.
His body has been sent for autopsy at the Government Taluk Hospital, Muvattupuzha.